Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Oct. 3 Oil Painting lesson step by step

I used cadmium red medium, naples yellow, white, and burnt sienna to paint in the flowers. I mixed equal amounts of Liquin and white; you need a lot of white for this as you will be applying a lot of paint. 

I redrew my flowers, or rather, I drew in the negative spaces between the flowers, with charcoal. (You could also use a soft conte crayon for this.)

I then applied paint thinner to this so as to wash it around a bit and increase the texture in the negative spaces. 

Then I painted various shades of peach in for the flowers. You can apply the paint any way you like. I worked with a palette knife, but quickly graduated to my fingers. I used very light pressure so the paint stayed thick. I lightly stamped a little of the negative space with my finger to make subtle areas of texture. If you enlarge the picture, you should be able to see it. 

Next time I should start photographing the palette. The mixture ranged from very light peach to a little more intense where I mixed in more cadmium red and burnt sienna. This made a beautiful shaded area. 

Next lesson (October 10) you will need something to scrape with. I suggest one of those plastic tools. They carry them at Hobby Lobby, but our store is out.

If you have questions, feel free to email me at annwinn4234@charter.net.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...